Guides topics - how would you list them?

atani

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
atani12.gitlab.io
Hello, fellow wanderer of the deep bowels of the Forum,
Whether you're lost or came by purpose, I seek your help in a most pressing matter.

Speaking with @AshAuryn about VaM guides, documentation, anything related with learning, there's a intention to boost its visibility and critical role it plays with the VaM community. While at the moment it's still early phases on how this will be given the prominent platform it needs, one thing that was asked to help in figuring it out was to do a listing of what we have.

And with that I compiled a list of the current guides in the free guides section of Resources as existing on 2024-05-06:

Topics

The guides list needs to be organised into topics. Consider what we have now and what we may have later for VAM1 and VAM2
  • What topics do you think there should be?
  • Broader or more specific topics: how much is too much?
Thank you for sharing your take on this matter 🙇‍♂️

My take on topics:
  • Person creation: textures, morphs, hair, clothing, etc
  • Plugins and tools
  • Assets: CUA, audio, etc
  • VaM use
  • Resource specific: Timeline, etc
  • Scene creation
  • Miscelaneous

In no particular order, here's what I consider important:
Lights (Duh)
Camera (All about viewing the action, menus, cam ride, etc.)
Action (Posing, animation, issues with collision, penetration, automatic plugins, etc.)
(Yes, I did that deliberately)
Then you have:
Character creation
Clothing creation
CUA creation
Plugin creation
Scene creation and layout
*Packaging!!!*

My take on topics:
  • Person creation: textures, morphs, hair, clothing, etc
  • Plugins and tools
  • Assets: CUA, audio, etc
  • VaM use
  • Resource specific: Timeline, etc
  • Scene creation
  • Miscelaneous
So as a new person i watched Capts Vid on YouTube he did a good job on the very basics then the guy who is Looking for nothing did a good over view but his stuff is dated and i think he is working on Votax now and the hand full of others are short , 1 topic , don't talk so Google leads to the forums which has most things but yes a one stop place would be nice so Hub use ,the use of the UI and tabs, Model creation , assets and the CUA is a needle in a haystack you get stuff and forget it is under the Misc tab lol , textures and how to use and combine looks prob need a topic and let them know of the plugin to stack, Plugins- 9 pages of stuff is a bit to sort through but most all are cool so that could be a topic for sure , audio prob needs it,s own topic, scene creation and possibilities , then animation and god knows how long that would be from a lot to take in on that one , miscellaneous things i would cover is the license so nobody pirates stuff , importing from Daz, Blender ect... although if they have Daz they prob know how to but ya never know , then maybe creation ideas for the makers out there people who want to be like Ash or Tommy or Shadow ect... then the end ideas of what to do if you want to dabble making things like just to post or to export to personal stuff? Like Miscreated Reality has a fantastic YouTube to show off his art , anyway those have been my hurdles in learning so take that as you may

So as a new person i watched Capts Vid on YouTube he did a good job on the very basics then the guy who is Looking for nothing did a good over view but his stuff is dated and i think he is working on Votax now and the hand full of others are short , 1 topic , don't talk so Google leads to the forums which has most things but yes a one stop place would be nice so Hub use ,the use of the UI and tabs, Model creation , assets and the CUA is a needle in a haystack you get stuff and forget it is under the Misc tab lol , textures and how to use and combine looks prob need a topic and let them know of the plugin to stack, Plugins- 9 pages of stuff is a bit to sort through but most all are cool so that could be a topic for sure , audio prob needs it,s own topic, scene creation and possibilities , then animation and god knows how long that would be from a lot to take in on that one , miscellaneous things i would cover is the license so nobody pirates stuff , importing from Daz, Blender ect... although if they have Daz they prob know how to but ya never know , then maybe creation ideas for the makers out there people who want to be like Ash or Tommy or Shadow ect... then the end ideas of what to do if you want to dabble making things like just to post or to export to personal stuff? Like Miscreated Reality has a fantastic YouTube to show off his art , anyway those have been my hurdles in learning so take that as you may
Can you set your topics as a list? it's very hard to see them on the long paragraph.

Can you set your topics as a list? it's very hard to see them on the long paragraph.
  1. start with a intro to the Hub - store, scene and create
  2. use of the UI and the different tabs
  3. model creation and looks
  4. textures , decals, tattoos, hair and cloths
  5. over view of a scene grabbing assets and using the CUA
  6. plugins and addons as well as Var
  7. lights and sound
  8. camera
  9. a basic animation and the plugin helpers
  10. triggers , logicbricks , timeline
  11. rules so nobody becomes a pirate
  12. and end goal like post and how to for free and paid
  13. getting set up with blender or Zbrush what everever to create assets for Vam
  14. then maybe a misc because i know there is a ton more

Great idea. I Agree with your topics as they are, but as with all guides it should ideally be set up in beginner, intermediate, advanced. I have been using VAM more or less since it came out, and a lot of stuff i never even touched. For example timeline is just not for me, as i don´t have the skill and patience. So someone like me would benefit from a ¨plug and play¨ guide which, thanks to Cheesy, is now posible. This would be an intermediate level i suppose, as you only need some presets, environments, Cua´s to load in, set up trigger actions ect.

On a connected note to this topic for @AshAuryn, the more I look into possible guide/documentation tools that are:
  • familiar and suitable for interconnected topics
  • flexible with permissions and rules
  • multi-user friendly
  • scalable
  • very customisable
the more I find that a wiki seems to offer the best set of features.
You'd have some locked areas, for example the official information that is on this site's wiki, and some user editable sections for new guides, tips, whatever would be interesting to have. A feature that doesn't exist with the current setup is that others than the creator could improve a existing guide.

Hello, fellow wanderer of the deep bowels of the Forum,
Whether you're lost or came by purpose, I seek your help in a most pressing matter.

Speaking with @AshAuryn about VaM guides, documentation, anything related with learning, there's a intention to boost its visibility and critical role it plays with the VaM community. While at the moment it's still early phases on how this will be given the prominent platform it needs, one thing that was asked to help in figuring it out was to do a listing of what we have.

And with that I compiled a list of the current guides in the free guides section of Resources as existing on 2024-05-06:

Topics

The guides list needs to be organised into topics. Consider what we have now and what we may have later for VAM1 and VAM2
  • What topics do you think there should be?
  • Broader or more specific topics: how much is too much?
Thank you for sharing your take on this matter 🙇‍♂️
Thank you so much! That link is AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom